Saturday, January 5, 2008

Circuit City: Indian style...

It's Saturday afternoon, time for another journey in Mysore --off to circuit board city. Imagine six feet tall circuit board equipment, after wash in acid under loosely held 3cm tempered glass without a safeguarding rail. I couldn't help myself from lurking above the ledge and watch the acid wash take place.

There was one point where Drew and I stopped and looked above a machine and it clearly stated with hazardous bold red print 'Wear respiratory and ear protection at all times.'; well we were screwed I thought. Felix murmurs, "It's only if you are exposed to it for long periods of time."


I have to say, I haven't had the privilege to enter a manufacturing facility or even gone through tours like this before. I am happy to have the opportunity to because I can compare and contrast between the vast industries from two-wheeling makers to axle makers.

Comparing AAL to AT&S, our visit today offers safer working conditions; however,
thinking in terms of American standards, there were activities that would be considered a violation of OSHA requirements at AT&S.

Various things kept brushing past my mind as we walked through the plant. I just kept thinking about the treatment of employees and their responsibility to their safety and health, ranging from their respiratory breathing to hearing.

No comments: